Who has left or is planning to leave?

I have to say that the cost of living has risen a lot in the past few months, and the USD hasn't risen much, nearly similar to December 2023.
It really impacts our lives, because we don't speak Spanish, we can't find a job here.😢

I really like this country, culture and the people, but this is life. The economy forces us to make a choice.
If I'm paying the same amount of money for housing or school fees, I expect a better quality of facilities or standards. 😢

We have completely achieved our goal of coming to Argentina, so I am seriously thinking of going to another country.

We are originally from East Asia. We went back for traveling last year, and I feel Asia is so different now. I see energy, opportunity, and a future.
But my wife suggests we go to the UK because she doesn't like the education culture in East Asia. Honestly, I think it's too risky to spend a lot of money to set up in the UK and find a job in a short time.

We have been discussing this for a month, but still, there is no conclusion. The only conclusion is leaving this country, but we still don't when
With respect to the rise of the cost of living for people with foreign income, last month I made a quick and rough comparison between april 2023 and april 2024. Note: from the perspective of someone who has an income in Euros, not in USD.

For prices in pesos I used the official inflation rate (apr 2023 - apr 2024), which gives a good coverage of the price hikes in the recent months. As much as I can remember now, inflation resulted in a factor of 3,8 (i.e. inflation of 280%), maybe a little less but definitely higher than 3,5. E.g. something that used to cost ARS 1000 in apr 2023 has a price of ARS 3800 in apr 2024.

In the same way I looked at the Western Union rates that I had in apr 2023 and the one on the day in apr 2024 when I made the calculation. Ofcourse in apr 2024 Western Union gave quite a lot more pesos for the euro than in apr 2023.

What I remember well is that this quick calculation resulted in an inflation in euros of 60% (apr 2023 - apr 2024).

Now, when taking into account:
(1) in April 2023 Buenos Aires was in my experience much, much cheaper than my home country. So this 60% increase in one year is on top of a very low 'base'.
(2) that some prices in my country in Europe are also still rising quite fast (for instance a regular glass of wine now easily cost EUR 6 - 7 on a terrace, dinner for two quite quickly going towards EUR 120 - 150, without going anywhere super fancy),
then I still think that Buenos Aires is relatively cheap, when compared to NW Europe.

Note: I haven't been in BA since Dec 2023, but get regularly informed by my partner who's still over there.

Is anyone thinking about Croatia?
Croatia, Serbia, Albania, Georgia, Latvia ,,, etc ,,, even with some tax advantages ,,, are not cosmopolitan.

If you are inclined for such life style you will be better off and SAFER in next door Uruguay.

Last edited:
Croatia, Serbia, Albania, Georgia, Latvia ,,, etc ,,, even with some tax advantages ,,, are not cosmopolitan.

If you are inclined for such life style you will be better off and SAFER in next door Uruguay.
physical safety?!? Croatia is VERY safe. Fair to say it’s less cosmopolitan; but it does offer a very good quality of life imo (natural beauty, history, food, cost of living etc).

physical safety?!? Croatia is VERY safe. Fair to say it’s less cosmopolitan; but it does offer a very good quality of life imo (natural beauty, history, food, cost of living etc).
Add Montenegro.. Great locations in summer. Another plus can board a fast ferry to Italy.

Slovenian alps to the north. If your budget supports a car and a little travel money Croatia is a great choice (assuming you don’t expect ww3)
Exactly.
And also assuming you don't mind slow boring (unbearable for some) life style.

Will the economy continue in free fall or find a floor ? I believe there is a long stretch before the V recovery ! announced by Milei. It's still a long tunnel , no light in sight..
I measure the trend of the economy, by the resto attendance along Santa Fe Ave. Today at several popular places at 14:00 hours restos like Aires Criollos, la Cholita , Cumana, Babieca. Only a couple of tables filled ...?
One can't measure the sales volume in other stores.
My Nampe inflation index is still under $2 US. The local Chinese is 2000 pesos when it's in stock.

Back