Brown Sugar....for cookies

NickF

Registered
I'm trying to make chocolate chip cookies but have been having some trouble finding brown sugar that I used to make the cookies in the U.S. Does anyone know where I can find some or if not what else to use in it's place? Thank you.

Any dietetica carries azucar negra, try there.

thank you. the texture of the azucar negra seems very different from the texture of brown sugar that I have used. It didn't appear to be the same thing. Anyone know if the azucar negra is a good substitute?

Ask for azúcar moreno or rubia. Moreno is the best, it is in between negra and rubia.

The quality/darkness of the sugar just depends on where you go. I have found that the resposteria (bakery supply store) has sugar that is too dark and sweet, but the dietetica next to me has better stuff, though they still call it negra. I go to Mirasoles which is right by Malabia and Charcas.

My mom is a baker so I am super picky about my materials! You can also try Doña Clara.

I don't like the rough azucar negra, it's just not the same. Barrio Chino also has a great azucar integral that most resembles the brown sugar I was used to in the states. Otherwise, azucar rubia is what I use. It does the trick, and as Rease posted typically any dietetica in your barrio should carry some.

sorry..dumb question. dieticas are diet stores and this is something that most neighborhoods have? I'm sure I'll start noticing them now, but haven't noticed them before. Any chance you might know of one in palermo near colonel diaz / las heras or libertador area?

To NickF:

There is one dietetica on Sanchez de Bustamante and Las Heras - accross from Cemic - there is a Farmacia on the corner. You just go up the street a little and you'll find it.

you also have one on Bulnes between Santa Fe and Arenales. Yes they are all over the place ;)

Brown sugar here is tricky. I made chocolate chip cookies with azucar integral from the dietetica, which was quite expensive. It had the same consistency as brown sugar (although more the color of golden brown) but not the same flavor. It almost tasted fruity... kind of like raisins. The cookies came out great but there was an underlying raisin flavor... not the same.

a dietetica isn't a 'diet' store, rather a place that they sell more healthy foods and food options, whole grain brown rice, beans, organic sugar, whole wheat breads, and other great staples in addition to healthier cosmetic options (I like the Weleda Salina toothpaste, for example, and can find it in many dieteticas), hard to find vitamin supplements sometimes, etc..

Back