Tough Times For Argentine Factories As Consumers Penny-pinch

Locally produced glasses have always (since I came here, at least) been very cheap, if they cost USD 6 now, you know who you have to blame.
Puerto de Frutos stores. Nothing fancy, made in Argentina and overpriced. Don’t know where you saw cheaper stuff but I always had hard time finding inexpensive kitchenwares or beddings or even clothing. Those tasteless (there are some great ones as well) unstylish clothing at those stupid prices (due to not having an H&M and ikes) really annoying me. I was at Solar de labadia in las canitas the other day looking for a suit; the quality, style and the price triangle is awful. We need competition here for a wake up call for the local businesses.

Puerto de Frutos stores. Nothing fancy, made in Argentina and overpriced. Don’t know where you saw cheaper stuff but I always had hard time finding inexpensive kitchenwares or beddings or even clothing. Those tasteless (there are some great ones as well) unstylish clothing at those stupid prices (due to not having an H&M and ikes) really annoying me. I was at Solar de labadia in las canitas the other day looking for a suit; the quality, style and the price triangle is awful. We need competition here for a wake up call for the local businesses.
Wow, but you sure do expensive 😲 the Puerto de los Frutos tourist trap in Tigre? And the Solar de la Abadia in Canitas, which must be one of the most upmarket mini-shopping centres around. I am impressed.

It's too long ago now to remember exact prices but the area around the outlet stores on Av. Cordoba (intersection with Gurruchaga) is always a good place to look for things, we did actually buy glasses there, and there was a good, old style outfitter as well, where I bought some formal clothes. I don't remember the name, it would have been 2021, but I'll see if it's on any of the clothes I bought. There are several mens' clothes shops, though, just spend a Saturday morning wandering around the area and see.

Wow, but you sure do expensive 😲 the Puerto de los Frutos tourist trap in Tigre? And the Solar de la Abadia in Canitas, which must be one of the most upmarket mini-shopping centres around. I am impressed.

It's too long ago now to remember exact prices but the area around the outlet stores on Av. Cordoba (intersection with Gurruchaga) is always a good place to look for things, we did actually buy glasses there, and there was a good, old style outfitter as well, where I bought some formal clothes. I don't remember the name, it would have been 2021, but I'll see if it's on any of the clothes I bought. There are several mens' clothes shops, though, just spend a Saturday morning wandering around the area and see.
What are you talking about!? It’s irrelevant! S dl A maybe expensive for you but not relevant to comparing the prices. Los Frutos is nothing fancy, upscale nor a tourist trap! We are not talking here where to find cheap clothing or kitchenware but how expensive it is here due to the lack of competition.

I assume as much too, Milei isn't the type of man to think rationally about things, consequences be damned.

That's the problem, expensive peso, high export duties, high import duties (parts/capital goods) and liquified consumption domestically. This means opened imports or not, it makes more sense for Argentines to buy cheap MEP dollars and go buy washing machines or TVs in Chile or Brazil. Also, if domestically produced goods are expensive, and imported goods are expensive, which one are consumers going to chose? Probably the better quality, non Nac y Pop goods.

We've got all the negatives associated with dollarization, and none of the positives, such as a currency people actually trust.

It's generally not. Some items, such as electronics or coffee or chocolate would become cheaper for consumers because it's all imported as is, so the tarifs would assumingely be reduced or eliminated, but it also destroys the domestic consumption and tax base as (relatively) well paying jobs evaporate due to Argentine businesses lose competitiveness globally.

I don't think ISI works for a 21st Century economy, but I also think we shouldn't be surprised when a laissez faire economic policy results in imports drowning out expensive domestically produced goods. If this is what people want, so be it, but accept that living by the sword means dying by it too.
Most people here aren't paying tax, and certainly not on all their income anyway

Most people here aren't paying tax, and certainly not on all their income anyway
That’s the thing!! Government should make the notes unavailable! It can be done. I have witnessed that in Turkey 20 years ago. All of a sudden under the table payments have vanished and the country has benefitted from that a lot. Card payments only or bank transfers.

After buying $1 ikea water glasses for $6 in BsAs, I really can’t wait to see the local industry go away! They built their businesses on ripping off the public with the help of the protectionism! They have to compete!

In MercadoLibre, a dozen glasses for $12,300.
The competitive pure capitalism marketplace does exist in Argentina. Hopefully putting pressure on those old dusty businesses in your neighborhood.

Most people don't earn an income high enough to pay ganacias, true, but they're getting raked over the coals when it comes to things like IVA, Impuesto PAIS, etc. which are the most regressive taxes because they are flat, not graduated, and apply to everyone equally. The rich pay 21% on groceries and so does a single mom; 21% of the minimum wage is $42,588 and $42,588 to someone living in Zona Sur is not the same $42,588 to someone living in San Isidro.

Back