Who has left or is planning to leave?

They also believe that things will get better as time progresses , If it is this bad in 6 months imagine in 3 years ? With no money spent on nothing and the market allowed to do as it pleases Argentina is now one of the most expensive countries of the planet for basic foods and simple household items .

That is right he was president till his death in 2007 . The Kirchners continued their power for many years after his death with his wife Christina taking over the reigns
Kirchner was not president when he died. Cristina was president.

I suspect few here are able to vote in Argentina, so their opinion of the current leader before the election is irrelevant. The pueblo, not expats or the elite, put him in office.
Every resident and citizen can (and must, according to the law) vote in all elections except for president.

Every resident and citizen can (and must, according to the law) vote in all elections except for preside

Every resident and citizen can (and must, according to the law) vote in all elections except for president.
The reference was to the Presidential election. I doubt many expats qualified to vote. As for the other requirement you state, I should think that could conflict with the laws of the country the resident belongs to. Do you know where that law is actually stated in the legal code?

I am leaving on June 10th with my kids but I'll keep my 2 apartments as they prices have gone up lately. Ironically, I am moving to a country way worse than Argentina in term of Inflation, quality of life, economy ETC. I am moving to Lecheria, Venezuela (I am not from Venezuela). I was considering Medellín but every single day I hear bad news on Colombia. I am not leaving because prices here are almost similar to the US as I enjoyed very cheap good quality products here for 2 years until recently. I am mostly leaving because I want to be closer to the US and the Dominican Republic. Colombia is a better option as they have direct flights to both countries but rent/insurance/getting a local DL seem to be a nightmare there.
As I will be driving to Venezuela, I plan to make a stop in Medellín for 2 weeks and see how things really work there.
I also considered Panama and the Bahamas but found out that apartments are very expensive there.
I'd like to know how you get on, I might do something similar eventually. Lecheria is supposed to be very nice, just across the water from Margarita. I've never been there, though. I've heard that property prices are attractive, they certainly are on Margarita, but I suspect the catch is that Margarita could run out of water.

I've come to like Medellin less and less as time goes on, it's not just the sex-tourist gringo vibe, and the associated robberies with burundanga and worse, but since the city is enclosed in a steep valley and air pollution has become worse with rising prosperity.

There are too many worries for me to move to Venezuela at the moment, power and water cuts (or rationing if you prefer), spotty internet connection, and general insecurity. Plus, if as expected, Maduro steals the elections in July, sanctions could be applied again and the country cut off from international flights. You must have stronger nerves than me.

I'm also interested in your project of driving to Venezuela :cool:

I am surprised no one considered Mexico and Uruguay/ Paraguay for moving to, in this thread.

I am leaving on June 10th with my kids but I'll keep my 2 apartments as they prices have gone up lately. Ironically, I am moving to a country way worse than Argentina in term of Inflation, quality of life, economy ETC. I am moving to Lecheria, Venezuela (I am not from Venezuela). I was considering Medellín but every single day I hear bad news on Colombia. I am not leaving because prices here are almost similar to the US as I enjoyed very cheap good quality products here for 2 years until recently. I am mostly leaving because I want to be closer to the US and the Dominican Republic. Colombia is a better option as they have direct flights to both countries but rent/insurance/getting a local DL seem to be a nightmare there.
As I will be driving to Venezuela, I plan to make a stop in Medellín for 2 weeks and see how things really work there.
I also considered Panama and the Bahamas but found out that apartments are very expensive there.
Pre-Chavez Venezuela was one of my favorite places to vacation. The beaches, food, people and nature were wonderful. I don't know what nationality you are but as an American I'd be concerned about my safety (from criminals and the government), the availability of health care and medicines and infrastructure.

While there's no doubt that things have declined these past months, Buenos Aires and the people here still hold joy, it's cultural.
No government can take it away, no matter how hard they try.

Since living here (about 12 years now) I've seen the political and economic climate ebb and flow. What's never changed? The people I was surrounded by, their spirit and grace. Look at them marching for their rights...they're involved, they care. Given the lackluster choices they have by way of politicians...they do what they think is best, then cross their fingers and get through it.

Everyday...whether I'm walking in San Telmo, Palermo, Belgrano, Almagro, Caballito, Centro, Congreso...I still see the care that's enshrined in the culture. People walking arm in arm (couples, family members, friends)...I still see people stopping, bending down and talking to those living in precarious situations on the street, even though others might walk on by. I see people that have means pitching in to help those who don't...at a higher rate than I've seen anywhere I've lived/traveled.

In the twisted world we live in, Governments can't be trusted to do what's right for those that elect them, but here...I see solidarity.

I plan on staying unless it becomes something I can no longer afford (as I come from thin means, unlike some other expatriates that might be able to afford a bit more time in the economic trenches).

My heart is here, I love it here and even if I have to trade meals out to cook polenta with veg at a friends home...that's something I can muster if it means being surrounded by the people in this city I've come to adore. The value was never in how far my earnings could stretch here compared to my home country...it was about something larger. Something I don't see fading as many others here do.

I see joy, even in the midst of the economic decline and not just in circles that have the money to float them through...even in my circle, around friends with lower incomes. They've been through the wringer, they know how to survive. Infact, I'd rather be here during instability, around people who're familiar with its trappings than in the U.S where any minor inconvenience is increasingly met with violence, gunfire.

I often see on the news that people in the US are getting shot near daily now in 'road rage' incidents and on a recent visit back I saw many adult temper tantrums toward service workers...complete melt downs over things like a coffee shop running out of their housemade flavored syrup...or having to wait five minutes for a fast food order. So...I'll hedge my bets with people here...who can stand in a two hour line like it's baked into their psyche. For the most part...worst you'll get is a feigned sigh and a few choice bits of lunfardo.

Equally, there's still vibrant culture to be had on the cheap. Live music, film, museums, nature preserves, parks and some great cheap meal deals if you don't want to take part in the latest gastronomy trends that cost far more. And, to everyone that mentions the cost of Bimbo bread soaring (near 5000 peso was quoted). I got a freshly baked loaf of 'pan de nuez' for $2500 pesos from an independent panadería and it tastes far better than that processed stuff ever could.

Little by little...Argentina will survive this...least that's what I'm hoping.

Too long, didn't read: The country-even in collapse-has high value...it's held in the care and grace of its citizens and culture. I plan to stay and see it through...to the other side of this administration and beyond. Home is home.

While there's no doubt that things have declined these past months, Buenos Aires and the people here still hold joy, it's cultural.
No government can take it away, no matter how hard they try.

Since living here (about 12 years now) I've seen the political and economic climate ebb and flow. What's never changed? The people I was surrounded by, their spirit and grace. Look at them marching for their rights...they're involved, they care. Given the lackluster choices they have by way of politicians...they do what they think is best, then cross their fingers and get through it.

Everyday...whether I'm walking in San Telmo, Palermo, Belgrano, Almagro, Caballito, Centro, Congreso...I still see the care that's enshrined in the culture. People walking arm in arm (couples, family members, friends)...I still see people stopping, bending down and talking to those living in precarious situations on the street, even though others might walk on by. I see people that have means pitching in to help those who don't...at a higher rate than I've seen anywhere I've lived/traveled.

In the twisted world we live in, Governments can't be trusted to do what's right for those that elect them, but here...I see solidarity.

I plan on staying unless it becomes something I can no longer afford (as I come from thin means, unlike some other expatriates that might be able to afford a bit more time in the economic trenches).

My heart is here, I love it here and even if I have to trade meals out to cook polenta with veg at a friends home...that's something I can muster if it means being surrounded by the people in this city I've come to adore. The value was never in how far my earnings could stretch here compared to my home country...it was about something larger. Something I don't see fading as many others here do.

I see joy, even in the midst of the economic decline and not just in circles that have the money to float them through...even in my circle, around friends with lower incomes. They've been through the wringer, they know how to survive. Infact, I'd rather be here during instability, around people who're familiar with its trappings than in the U.S where any minor inconvenience is increasingly met with violence, gunfire.

I often see on the news that people in the US are getting shot near daily now in 'road rage' incidents and on a recent visit back I saw many adult temper tantrums toward service workers...complete melt downs over things like a coffee shop running out of their housemade flavored syrup...or having to wait five minutes for a fast food order. So...I'll hedge my bets with people here...who can stand in a two hour line like it's baked into their psyche. For the most part...worst you'll get is a feigned sigh and a few choice bits of lunfardo.

Equally, there's still vibrant culture to be had on the cheap. Live music, film, museums, nature preserves, parks and some great cheap meal deals if you don't want to take part in the latest gastronomy trends that cost far more. And, to everyone that mentions the cost of Bimbo bread soaring (near 5000 peso was quoted). I got a freshly baked loaf of 'pan de nuez' for $2500 pesos from an independent panadería and it tastes far better than that processed stuff ever could.

Little by little...Argentina will survive this...least that's what I'm hoping.

Too long, didn't read: The country-even in collapse-has high value...it's held in the care and grace of its citizens and culture. I plan to stay and see it through...to the other side of this administration and beyond. Home is home.

Back