Milei faces biggest protest yet as students march over budget cuts

It's not so simple. There are many professors employed by the previous government who never show up for work and get free salaries from state funding. Its quite complicated.
Yes, that is true, but why punishing everybody ? Looks like this government is constantly taking the shortcut of cutting everything, so they can then boast on television of a tiny surplus budget, regardless of how much more people is struggling. I guess it is much easier and faster to fdo that, rather than performing an accurate analysis and identify inefficiencies.

One of the comments on social media explained it like this: you receive your salary, and declare you're not going to pay your rent, gas, electricity, credit card bills, so you believe you have a surplus. Substitute pensioners, provinces, education, health, subsidies for transport for the previous list and you've encapsulated Milei's project.
This is the perfect metaphor. Sure, you may have an extra $500 in your bank account, but if you're living on the street does that mean you're doing well? My problem with Milei (amongst others) is that he's so out of touch with reality. Today he tweeted an AI image of a lion drinking a mug of "leftist tears" in response to the protest, and besides it being cringe, it's just tone deaf. This isn't a man who wants to govern, it's a man who wishes to be king. He hates anyone that challenges his religious like political beliefs, and still after months he can't accept that since he lacks a majority, he has to compromise.

I live downtown, and I've seen the Campora protest, they only wish they had this many members. Each week I feel like we're living Alberto Fernandez's second term in many ways because there's a total divorce with what people are upset about. Universal public education is something Argentina is, and should be proud of. State universities charge tens of thousands in the US, and right wingers bitch about "indoctrination" all the time there, so it's not like making people pay for college would even stop that, it's a red herring. Some of our forum members here are old enough to remember Dick Nixon and the Vietnam War era, are Milei's complaints any different? All his opponents are dirty pinko commie hippies even when it was then (and now) Rockefeller Republicans (or the UCR here) disagreeing with him.

Look at the economic and social barometers, things aren't going well, and while not all of it is his fault, if you have a hammer (blender?) everything looks like a nail (smoothie).

The government has every right to cut the budget. Argentine tax payers can not and should not pick up the tab for the education of foreign students who don’t pay it back to Argentina in any way! They caome, graduate and leave. AR colleges have good reputation but it is harder to maintain the quality of education with this generosity! The resources has been used on all the nonsense by the previous governments hence someone with the balls needed to do these necessary cuts. It’s not Milei doing it, it’s the conditions that’s been created by the previous governments.

The V shaped economic recovery doesn't seem likely soon , the downside will continue and then by August, Perhaps will go into an L that by year end may become a U with a very slow recovery. Milei by then may not be Anarco-Capitalist.
Without investment by the private sector there's no magic.

Yes, that is true, but why punishing everybody ? Looks like this government is constantly taking the shortcut of cutting everything, so they can then boast on television of a tiny surplus budget, regardless of how much more people is struggling. I guess it is much easier and faster to fdo that, rather than performing an accurate analysis and identify inefficienciesYe

Yes, that is true, but why punishing everybody ? Looks like this government is constantly taking the shortcut of cutting everything, so they can then boast on television of a tiny surplus budget, regardless of how much more people is struggling. I guess it is much easier and faster to fdo that, rather than performing an accurate analysis and identify inefficiencies.
As I have said before, the goal should be to increase efficiency and reduce corruption. Those who do not show up for work should be dismissed. The goal should not be to cut endlessly. Some things need to be eliminated or cut but it has to be done with some discretion

It's not so simple. There are many professors employed by the previous government who never show up for work and get free salaries from state funding. Its quite complicated.
The top monthly Salary for professors in UBA is 684k. The average is half that. There's not that much fat to trim there. Adrian Ventura from TN teaches at UBA part time, he said on air he gets 90k a month, truly a labor of love. Bashing teacher pay because of a few bad apples is not a good look.

The top monthly Salary for professors in UBA is 684k. The average is half that. There's not that much fat to trim there. Adrian Ventura from TN teaches at UBA part time, he said on air he gets 90k a month, truly a labor of love. Bashing teacher pay because of a few bad apples is not a good look.
I don't think pay is the issue. UBA depends on professionals who are willing to teach part time for low pay. It's prestigious to have a position at UBA and helps to advance careers in professions like medicine and law. Just where the budget can be trimmed I am not sure. There is almost certainly waste, as there is everywhere, but to make that assessment there would have to be some oversight. My point is that savings can be made by increasing efficiency. Across the board cuts are not necessarily the answer.

On the subject of that budget surplus, the thing he's ignoring is that his government took on 9 billion USD of new debt with another loan from the IMF, and they're now going back asking for even more.

So, it's all accounting tricks, not a real surplus.

Back